Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Institute of Radiation Physics conducts research for states of matter under extreme conditions and in very small dimensions.
As part of the Institute, the Department HIBEF at the European XFEL in Schenefeld (Hamburg) invites applications as Laseringenieur (f/m/d). The position will be available from 1 June 2023.
High-energy high-repetition-rate amplification has always been a pivotal development direction in laser technology. Here, THRILL plans on focusing on systems capable of delivering an energy above one kilojoule at a repetition rate of one shot per 1-to-5 minutes. The project is deliberately restricted to three enabling technologies that were estimated to require the most urgent efforts: high-energy high-repetition-rate amplification, high-energy beam transport and optical coating resilience for large optics. THRILL aims at advancing R&D to undertake these challenges by putting together the expertise of world-leading academic and industrial partners
The successful candidate (f/m/d) will be contribute to the HZDR task “compilation of a CDR –A kJ laser for dynamic compression and high-field science at EuXFEL”
The objective of this sub-task is to study the technical feasibility and possible implementation of a multi kJ laser system tailored for use at the European Free Electron Laser (EuXFEL). Higher than currently available energy per pulse is demanded by the scientific needs of the dynamic compression community, to generate relativistic plasmas and study high field QED effects. The WP aims to deliver the CDR of a dual system delivering kJ ns and/or PW sub ps pulses. The state of the art, and future developments required for the laser amplification chain architecture will be assessed based on output from other work packages, the result a special tailored blueprint should be the basis of commercialization
- PhD degree in Optical, Laser Physics or Engineering
- Front end strategies for generation of both ns and fs pulse duration
- Main amplifier strategies: evaluation of existing and future amplification concepts and will design and consider adapted to EuXFEL
- Beam transport and impact on issues as beam quality, wavefront and diffraction for extended beam paths, correction strategies, for short-pulse PW: optical compression location strategies, and the required
- Infrastructure and facility integration strategy for EuXFEL: diagnostic packages for laser and user operation, services and utilities, control system integration to EuXFEL control system, requirements on laser and radiation protection, concepts of laser and facility maintenance cycles, pre-emptive vs reactive maintenance and constrains for user operation
What we offer:
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
How to apply: